Due to the closing and reconstruction of our Police lobby, we will temporarily process License to Purchase (LTP) pistol permits remotely with the following procedure:
- Download the Weapon Application Form
- Submit the completed Weapon Application Form along with a photograph or copy of your Driver’s License or State Issued ID Card. If you have a change of address label on the back side of the card, it must be included.
- The documents can be emailed to our Record’s Clerk at email@example.com, faxed to 734-475-1996, or dropped off into the City Drop Box. Please be sure your name, address, and phone number are legible.
- If utilizing the drop box, please use an envelope to secure all the documents, noting “License to Purchase Pistol” on the envelope.
- Our Record’s Clerk will contact you when the process is completed. The LTP will either be mailed to you, or will be available for pick up by appointment only.
We will do our best to make special arrangements during this timeframe. Feel free to contact the Records Office with any questions. 734-475-1771, ext 104
Gun permits are issued Monday thru Friday between the hours of 8:00am and 3:00pm. Bring a valid photo ID (i.e. driver’s license, state issued ID, etc). There will be an application form to fill out, as well as a background check and criminal history check prior to any permits being issued. Once issued, you have 30 days to purchase the pistol, and 10 days from the date of the sale to return the MSP copy to the Chelsea Police Department. The pistol is no longer required to be brought in for inspection. Feel free to contact the Records Clerk at 734-475-1771 ext 104, or visit the Michigan State Police website for more information. http://michigan.gov/msp/0,4643,7-123-1878_1591_3503_4654---,00.html
Concealed Pistol License Information and applications are available at http://www.ewashtenaw.org/government/sheriff/services/concealed-weapons
The completed applications must be submitted to the Washtenaw County Clerks Office.
Frequently Asked Questions on Pistol Registrations - FAQ Click Here