There are two ways to open new utility accounts:
1) Appear in person at the City Offices during normal business hours with valid, photo identification and proof of residence.
2) Send a signed, notarized letter to the Chelsea City Offices that includes the address to be serviced, services to be provided (that is, electric, water, sewer), service start date, and contact phone number. Click here for a copy of a template new service letter.
For new accounts and account terminations, the City must set an appointment for a final read. The current resident must be present at that time to allow utility service personnel into the business or residence to read the water meter.
Deposits required only for service to Sylvan Township utility customers and to landlords with affadavits on file. Utility bills beyond six months past due automatically become a tax lien against the property. The City encourages residents and business owners to contact the City on a payment plan if they find themselves with a past due balance to avoid having utility past due balances transferred to the tax roll.
There are three ways to make account changes:
1) Appear in person at the City Offices during normal business hours with valid, photo identification.
2) Send a signed, notarized letter to the Chelsea City Offices that includes the address to be serviced, services to be provided (that is, electric, water, sewer), service start date, and contact phone number. Click here for a copy of a template change letter.
3) Call the City Office utilities billing department and verify the account holder name and address.
Account terminations can be reported by the former account holder, or the new account holder.
If reported by the former account holder, the City will need to verify id using one of the three methods for account changes prior to scheduling the account termination. The former account holder can only schedule an end to their service, not the date the service will change to the new account holder. (For rental properties that will default to the property owner's name, the City will call the property owner of record and leave a message referencing the tenant service termination date and transfer of utility service.)
If reported by the new account holder, the City will follow the new account procedures to open the account and use the will use the phone number on account to leave a message for former account holder (this may be the landlord) noting the requested account date change.
Click here for the Change of Service Form.